Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Use clubs to kick-start transformation

There have been a few headlines over the past few days about the changing role of clubs in South African rugby. But I wonder if clubs can play a far more fundamental role in the transformation of South African rugby.

When I was at school, soccer was not available - it was looked down upon. It was pretty much an unspoken rule at junior school that everyone had to play rugby in winter and cricket in summer. At high school, hockey was an alternative to rugby and waterpolo was an alternative to cricket. Those who wanted to play soccer typically joined a club like Rygersdal - who had age group sides.

I wonder if this is not the way to provide rapid access to rugby to township schools? Why couldn't clubs like Villagers and False Bay start junior sides and attract township talent? In my mind this would solve a number of problems:
  1. Club rugby has faced declining fortunes with a drop in profile since the advent of professionalism

  2. Good players at school level often don't make the step up to play rugby at club level - offering age group rugby would provide a feeder programme

  3. Rugby has floundered in the townships due to lack of facilities and skilled coaches.


Of course there are a number of problems:
  1. Transport from township schools to club facilities

  2. Applicability to very young age groups (e.g. under 9s and 10s - should they be travelling to practices and matches at non-school premises?)

  3. Availability of coaches during working hours

  4. Ability of fields to support more play

  5. Ability to find space in existing school schedules.


I am sure solutions could be found to each of these issues. For example, when I played club rugby a nearby school field (literally across the road) stood unused except for once every year when the annual sports day was held. I understand this was either due to lack of interest in sports from the kids or lack of staff to coach sport. Immediately this says to me that there is an opportunity to gain an extra field for the club and potential age group players from the school. With regard to coaches, I am sure varsity players schedules may allow them the flexibility to coach during working hours.

Maybe some clubs do offer age group rugby. Maybe they do see townships as a potential source of players. If you know of these examples, please comment.

My point is that I think that if we look for opportunities to take rugby to the masses there will be opportunities to strengthen the game. Club rugby is an option in doing this.

If we take a business minded approach to this and employ marketing minds, I am sure we could capitalise on the World Cup success.

Some months ago I watched a Carte Blanche insert on train surfing. I was astounded to hear from the kids that they mostly train surfed to gain the admiration of young girls. It made me think. Maybe we should be marketing sport to young township girl spectators. If they were enarmoured with the thought of big strong rugby-playing boys, I am sure we'd soon find young boys clamouring to play the game.

Finally, I am sure further lateral examples would show potential. What about schools who lack rugby playing numbers. Schools like SACS, Rondebosch, Bishops and Wynberg (to name a set from a very small area of South Africa) have from 5 o 8 teams per age group. Other schools battle to find the numbers to fill the positions for one team. Should we be precious about disallowing kids from other schools where rugby is not offered to join schools where it is, or see this as an opportunity? Of course I am not talking about creating open clubs at schools, but merely highlighting that there are some schools where rugby battles to survive because of lack of playing numbers and others with underutilised facilities. There must be an opportunity to put that right.

What do you think?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Otto said...

Nice article, SS. I like it a lot.

Can I ask you to drop me an email at robdylan@sharksworld.co.za when you get a moment? Thanks dude.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home